Places to eat in Ubud
Ubud offers a massive variety of delicacies for the traveller, from traditional Balinese roadside stalls, to chic and contemporary fine dining restaurants. This marvelous hub from Jalan Raya Ubud to Jalan Monkey Forest has the most eclectic mix of restaurants and cafes that you will find in Bali. This is a foodies paradise.
If you’re in Ubud for a couple of days or even a week, make sure you walk around the streets and do some exploring for yourself. From small vegan cafes that are just holes in the wall, to restaurants with international chefs, Ubud is going to blow you away with it’s the quality of it’s food and the variety. Below are some of our favourites.
- Naughty Nuris This famous street side grill is a must try restaurant in Ubud. It serves a variety of meat dishes and is known for it’s outstanding Indonesian and Balinese cuisine. What started as a small local stall has grown into a tourist mecca where diners queue up for the tasty food. Try the pork ribs as they are legendary. You will know this place before you see it by the smell of the smoke emanating from the roadside BBQ.
- Mozaic Restaurant Fine dining at it’s best in Ubud set among tropical gardens makes Mozaic a foodies delight. Here you can taste French cuisine and Balinese tradition home style cooking. It’s an award winning restaurant and offers diners an escape to a quiet oasis where they can settle down for the night and eat arguably from one of the finest places in Ubud. It’s cosy warm interiors set the scene for a magnificent meal. There is a lounge area with chandelier mood lighting and plush deep sofas where you can start the evening off with their signature cocktails. You will love the vibe and atmosphere of Mozaic – it’s for a special night out in Ubud.
- Warung Ibu Oka Try local Babi Guling (suckling pig) at this local Indonesian Warung. No frills, no nonsense great food that will melt in your mouth, all at ridiculously cheap prices. Don’t be fooled or think for one minute that just because it’s local that it will be bad or unhealthy. This place is so popular due to the freshness and quality of the food. Do yourself a favour and try this Balinese traditional dish. You won’t regret it!
- Cascades at The Viceroy Bali A couple of adjectives to describe this 5 star restaurant would be; sensational, romantic and peaceful. The Viceroy’s back drop is the Petanu Valley which gives diners a great view over lush tropical Balinese forests. This is one of the reasons why it has such reputation as being a venue where couples can come for an intimate evening. The menu has French, Thai, Japanese and Balinese dishes. An added bonus is the serving of high teas mid afternoon over looking the valley. This is a great holiday experience. Once a month Cascades will put on a special event where local Balinese dancers will perform for guests as they dine on a Balinese Rijsttafel. Cascades is located 5 minutes drive from the centre of Ubud Bali.
- Bridges Bali Bridges Bali is one of Ubud’s most famous restaurants because of the incredible views over the Campuhan River and the great Aisan and Western dishes they serve up daily. There is a wine bar, as well as a very intimate restaurant where couple can enjoy a candle lit dinner. The restaurant also features an art gallery where diners can browse local artist works after lunch or dinner. There are multiple dining areas but most people prefer the upstairs area where they can find a quiet nook to gaze over the valley below. When it comes to dining in Ubud, there seems to be the same formula followed by these top restaurants. It’s really all about the food and then it’s the awesome Balinese cuisine.
- Luxe Cafe at Luxe Bali Villas If you have had enough of Nasi Goreng and your typical Indonesian dishes and need to try something Western for a change, then the roast chicken served hot and fresh off the rotisserie and French bistro style cooking at the Luxe Cafe is a must try experience. Make sure you sample the desserts, as well as they are prepared by the chef – especially the decadent chocolate mousse. The all day breakfast menu is guaranteed to please as well. Mouth watering, tempting dishes like the Luxe Fresh Egg Breakfast with bacon or the scrumptious pancakes with golden syrup are the stuff that keep tourists coming back to this place.
- Bebek Tepi Sawah Set in among the rice fields, Bebek Tepi Sawah, is a real treat for those wanting to experience Balinese dining and Indonesian dishes. Dining in the rural country side is an unbelievably calming and tranquil experience – which is why this place has become so popular. You sit within wooden huts perched above the rice fields and enjoy al freco dining under the Ubud stars. Listen to the the sounds of the crickets and the water flowing through the rice paddies as you enjoy the signature dish: duck. Bebek means duck in Indonesian and here you will be treated to the best crispy duck on the island. There are live local performances with traditional Balinese dancers performing every night. Make sure you go here – this is a must do dining experience.
There are countless other cool little cafes and restaurants in Ubud that it is almost impossible to fit them all here. Our advice is to take things slowly. Look around, do your own home work and make your own fantastic discoveries. As you meander down Monkey Forest Road, you will see a number of quaint cafes serving fresh juices, smoothies and cheap Indonesian dishes. These are aimed at the budget traveller but still the food is amazing. Give it a try.