Nightlife in Ubud?
Ubud is Bali’s cultural heart and is best known for galleries, quiet cafes, it’s scenic rice field views but unfortunately not it’s night life. For that, people tend to go to Kuta or Seminyak. Having said that, there is still a beating pulse after dark in Ubud and the following places are worth checking out if you feel like a drink, dance or a bit of socialising with other Ubud tourists.
For those wanting to venture out of their peaceful villas or hotels and pick the pace up a bit you may like to go to these hot spots. Remember this is Ubud and not Seminyak or Kuta so you have to keep your expectations in check if you are after a big night out. Most people go out have dinner, perhaps a few drinks and that’s about it. Most venues will close around 1pm at the latest. Anything beyond this would have to be a very special event.
- Laughing Buddah Bar Laughing Buddha Bar, has live music nightly. The bar also puts on special evenings like salsa nights just to keep guests entertained. Look out for happy hour from 4pm to 7pm where you can buy 2 drinks for the price of 1. Grab their signature specialty mojito cocktail. With the 2 for deal this is great value. This is probably as lively as Ubud gets at night.
- XL Shisha Lounge A intimate lounge near Ubud’s central football field (you wont miss it), is like stepping into a Middle Eastern bazaar where the decor is draped in plush silk curtains. If you want to feel like you are in The Middle East ( this probably sounds odd considering you are on holiday in Bali), then grab a shisha (water pipe) settle in for the evening and chill out with your mates. There is a mixed menu with Indonesian food, tapas and Western style burgers and steaks. There is music to add to the atmosphere. All round a very chilled out evening with a warm friendly atmosphere. Again, not the hectic party scene of Kuta, but this is Ubud and people come here to escape that sort of thing.
- The Melting Pot The Melting Pot Game room and Pub is a place where you can go with your friends, hang out, play some pool, drink a few beers and enjoy some Tex-Mex food. A no frill kind of pub this makes for a good escape from the hotel bar where you can relax and have a few quiet drinks. On most nights you can expect classic American, Bruce Springsteen style rock tunes blaring out plus there are sports feeds on the big TV screens. They have tried to make this place a little slice of Texas in the heart of Ubud.
- Cafe Havana If you are into salsa dancing and love the vibe that seems to go with anything Cuban then make a night of it at Cafe Havana where you can practice up on your Latino dancing. The food is Cuban-Caribbean but make sure you try out a few of the cocktails; Mojito and Cuba Libre. You will love the vibe here as the waitresses are also salsa dancers and the rhythm keeps on going whilst they are serving you. Can be a bit kitch, but after a few rums, I’m sure you will join in on the action. Great for a easy, casual meal with a come what may attitude after a few mojitos… If you have never tried salsa before Cafe Havana has salsa lessons for those willing to learn.
- Fly Cafe This is where the expats hang out to regroup, chill out and drink a few Bintangs. There is the occasional band playing here with the odd karaoke night, but it’s more of a pub style atmosphere with a pub style menu serving great ‘English Pub ‘ food. If you like your bangers and mash, head over over here.
- Cafe de Artists An eclectic bar / lounge with bohemian overtones offers really decent pub style food at great prices. There is great selection of international beers and the waiters are experts at making delicious cocktails. Play darts, shoot some pool, hang out garden area for some al fresco dining. This cafe is what you need after a long hard days touring the sights of Ubud or haggling in the local markets.