Where to shop in Seminyak
Shopaholics be warned….. There is an abundance of world class shops here.
Seminyak is a shoppers paradise. If you are into shopping and spending days walking in and out of trendy, up market fashion boutiques then this place is your ticket to shopping nirvana. It is choc a block, crammed with well known name outlets, and cute little shops that run for miles. There’s everything you could want; from the extravagant designer labels, trendy contemporary furniture and lighting stores, right through to the dozens of Rip Curl and Billabong shops where you can buy a pair of board shorts for half the price back home in Australia. There is also a multitude of local Balinese shop owners trying to cash in on the massive tourist trade that passes by each day. These shops sell anything from sarongs, wood carvings, Bintang T shirts and an array of odd souvenirs that you will probably throw out when you are back home.
If you are spending the day shopping in Seminyak, you can always break the monotony of spending money and ducking into a a cool cafe or restaurant that are interwoven within the shopping route. Most start at the corner of Jalan Raya Legian and end up at the Jalan Laksmana.
Shopping in Bali is not like it is back home where you head off to the local mall or Westfield. Instead you have to spend hours walking the streets and alleyways spotting something that takes your fancy and heading off. It can be draining especially in the tropical heat so to make things easier, following is a list of shops to visit whilst in Seminyak.
- Drifter Bali The original hipster surf store that now has a cafe. Great fashion and surfing accessories make this place a must visit. You will find everything you need here for your surfing holiday.. The difference between Drifter and the hundreds of other surfing shops is that this place seems to have a really cool vibe. It somehow encapsulates the spirit of surfing from the 60’s and 70’s and morphs it into the spirit of Bali. You can spend hours here browsing through the old and new photos, surfboards, clothing and of course grab a coffee, hang out and watch all the cool wanna be surfie types come in.
- FROM Minimalist designs from a boutique that offers classic styles that never date. There is also a range of home wares and great accessories.
- Lulu Yasime This label simply exudes contemporary chic and style. These are all hand made from organic materials.
- Magicali Pascali If you love the Balinese bohemian transient lifestyle then this brand is for you. Think chic- glam Bali with a modern contemporary feel. The clothing is hand made in Bali and continues to wow international travellers who’s first destination shopping hot spot in Seminyak is this place.
- Biasa + An established and iconic local Balinese brand, this is now high on the shopping target list of all who wonder the streets of Seminyak looking for something unique. It’s a very hip and cool place with art and lifestyle on show here. Do not miss a chance to shop here.
- Seminyak Square This is really the first commercial shopping area in Seminyak, where you you will find a mix of restaurants and of course shops. It’s on the shopping strip, and well worth a quick look, even if you need to sit down and relax whilst you digest all the damage you have just done to your credit card.
- Deus Ex Machina This place is an institution and Seminyak is the second shop. The first one was so successful in Canggu that it was a no brainer to open up another. You can shop here for all things vintage; classic motor bikes (and the must have apparel that goes along with it), surfboards, clothing and hipster type nick nacks. It’s has a lot of vintage clothes and accessories that you perhaps would not normally buy, but the Deus brand is now so cool that wearing it is now a norm for the Seminyak trendies.
- Bamboo Blond Bamboo Blonde’s main store on Jalan Laksmana in Seminyak is dedicated to teenagers and girls in their very early 20’s. You cannot miss this place with the bright pink signage. It’s a fun, bright, feel good shop that caters fort a very specific market. Again, when browsing and mooching around Seminyak, this is worth a visit especially if you have teenagers tagging along with you.
- Bintang Supermarket It’s amazing how a supermarket can become a bit of a tourist shopping hot spot. I guess it only happens in Bali. A trip to the famous Bintang supermarket if only to gaze at the multitude of products for sale here. It is among a handful of large supermarkets in the area selling a imported foods such as vegemite and wheetbix. If you are in a hotel nearby and want to stock up on goodies, then this place is perfect. It’s jammed packed and very noisy from the moment it opens till late at night where locals, ex pats and tourist go for cheap bargains and of course to pick up their supply of Bintang beer. It is also a perfect meeting point as everyone knows this place.
- Single Fin Seminyak Keeping in line with the whole hipster revolution Single Fin is a place where you will find all types of surf clothing, boards, shoes, skateboards and branded clothing. These places all seem to follow the same formula but guess what…it works really well. It’s got heaps of stuff for guys and gals of all ages.