Places to eat in Legian
Legian comes a close second as the most popular dining area after Kuta. The place is jam packed full of great restaurants seving western style and local Indonesian cuisine.
Legian has come a long way in terms of restaurants and dining out. You can still find your local Balinese style warungs where you can get a cheap meal. But, these are slowly being pushed further out and getting taken over by more upscale dining venues, and this trend looks set to continue. You will find most of the main restaurants along Jalan Legian which is the main thorough fare connecting Kuta; Legian and finally Seminyak. The lines between all 3 areas are really starting to blur and this is the same with the restaurant scene. There is plenty of choice in every price range and budget range however for those on a tight budget you will be hard pushed to find the bargain basement prices that Kuta restaurants, food stalls and markets are famous for.
Legian really has no shortage of top world class restaurants and here are just a few to wet your appetite.
- Donbiu This used to be known as the Taman Ayun Restaurant at Padma Resort at Legian. The name change has also changed the menu where you can get top dining with cuisine form all over the world. This is a great concept and is a great way to try different dishes from many cultures. If you are in Legian on a Sunday night make sure you eat here for the famous ‘babi guling’ or suckling pig. This is famous in Bali and you should really try it at least once before you go.
- Tekor Bali This place is a little gem right opposite the beach in Legian in the Double Six area. It serves top Indonesian food at very reasonable prices. It’s a no frill type of place that has probably one of the best reputations in Legian for scrumptious food. Make sure you go here – to miss it would be a mistake.
- The Kopi Pot This Legian restaurant has been going since 1990 and the reason why it’s so popular is because of its wonderful Indonesian food all served in lush tropical Balinese gardens surroundings. Make sure you try the legendary Bali coffee (Kopi) as well as the Javanese ‘tongseng kambing’ spicy lamb stew for a main dish – this is what they are famous for. When it comes to dessert time the Kopi Pot is famous allover Bali for its hand made yummy desserts. The great thing about Kopi Pot is the passing scenery as you are having a meal – it’s non stop action and this is part of the fun of being in Legian.
- Five Monkeys Legian If you like your gourmet burgers and want them real large then Five Monkeys is the best burger place in Legian. Servings are really generous and the sauces that go with it are so tasty! The vibe is hectic, fast paced and all about the food. Kind of typically American. If you like you can also try out the international beers here. Have a go at the barbecue bacon cheeseburger!
- Warung Murah I am going to add a local Indonesian Warung here as a must try restaurant. I know it’s not glitzy or glamorous but if there is 1 thing I can tell you is that for $10 you are going to get the best value meal in Bali. If you are worried about eating local, don’t. This place is packed full ofex pats, or in the know tourists who have read up or heard about this place and I want to let you in on the secret as well. The food is probably the best in Bali in a no frills type of way. You order from the counter and pick what you want and they simply add it to your plate. Simple as that – but is it fresh and so tasty. If you want to add extra chili go for it. For a quick feed that will set a family of 4 back about $30 this place is the go. What ever you do please do not judge this place by the outside. As I said it’s no frills BUT the food is really the very best.
- Blue Ocean Restaurant This is a legendary seafood restaurant in Legian and was one of the first to cater for the Legian crowd. Located on the beachfront, diners can enjoy lobster, fish and local freshly caught seafood whilst watching the famous Legian sunset. Sit back grab a few cold ones, have a cocktail, enjoy the food, the atmosphere with your friends and family. This restaurant is all about the beach the food and having a few drinks. It’s great value and ideal for those who have come straight off the beach and want a feed – there are showers as well to wash the sand off.