Nightlife in Legian
Party till dawn, meet new friends, eat at great restaurants. Legian is for the serious party goers. This is where hang overs happen. Back packers, schoolies, 20 somethings, teenagers, ex pats, and tourists all flock to Legian for a night out on the town.
Jalan Legian is where it all happens and this is the main road that connects Kuta with Legian. If you can tell where one begins and one ends then that’s good. There is a very fine line that differentiates the two areas. Once the day ends and your sun burnt, its time to hit Legian’s famous nightlife. This area plays host to some of Bali’s biggest bars where teenagers are walking around shirtless with drinks in their hand. It’s all about drinking here. If you are not into that then I would avoid Legian and go to the more sophisticated Seminyak.
But if you want to hit the town and party hard here are some great Legian venues.
- Bounty It is the kind of place where what you see is what you get. There are no false pretenses here. It’s all about the booze and the guy/gals. Bounty, also referred to as ‘Bounty Ship’, is famous for the foam parties and is the place all schoolies from Australia hit when they go out in Legian. Large plastic jugs are the norm here and it’s guzzle as much as you can in as short amount of time. Entry is Rp 75 000 but this does include a free drink. Basically this place has a loud, testosterone filled vibe.
- Greenbox Backpackers pay attention! This place is cheap. If you are on a tight budget and you want to drink, then Greenbox is a great venue. It’s standing room only here, so gather your mates, get 10 tequila shots lined up and go for it. It is located behind the Bali Memorial.
- Skygarden Rooftop Lounge The hub of partying in the Kuta / Legian area, this mega complex is a party persons paradise. This is right near the Bali Memorial where you find a cluster of bars, clubs and drinking holes. This is really the epi centre of the whole party scene in Bali for teenagers and the rest of young Aussies over in Bali who want to get a few drinks into them. Skygarden is a venue most people will end up at some point in the night.
- Vi Ai Pi is a very popular Legian night spot as it’s amng all the other bars. The way it works here, is that drinkers and revellers go from one bar to the next as the are all within 50m of each other and Vi Ai Pi just happens to be in the mix. I’m not sure if people plan to go here intentionally but somehow they find their way here through the alcoholic daze. It is a big venue and it’s 2 floors; first being the main dancing / drinking area, while the second floor is more chilled out with lounges. This 2nd floor however does get rowdy as the evening wears on. There are fashion shows, dancers, drag queens that lip synch to songs, as well as pole dancers and DJ’s. It’s action packed and great if your intention is to go out and have a big night. Entry is free.
- MBarGo is where the crowds go to hear thumping loud tunes played by DJ’s. More hip hop and R&B tunes are played but due to its central location it does get the young crowd coming in to continue the venue crawl. A couple of drinks here, some dancing, then it’s off to the next place. The venue can handle up to 2,000 party-goers and when the music and partying gets too much you can always escape to a VIP lounge and drink more with their 2 for 1 promo drinks till midnight.
- Eikon Loud music and friendly bar staff are the way it is here at Eikon. The place has been going since 2008 and the reason for this is that the owners are always coming up with new ways to bring in the crowds. The signature drink here is the ‘Eikon Bucket’ which is packed full of alcohol – you will regret this in the morning! There is a quick 1 hour happy hour from 11pm to midnight, where prices for Bintang beer, tequila and the buckets are discounted. The photos below should give you a great idea about the type of venue Eikon is.
- Apache Reggae Bar If the thumping hard core music of Legians bars get too much for you and you want to Jamaican style chilled out evening, then this Reggae bar is going to be just the tonic for those sore heads. Local bands perform here, playing as you probably guess, a lot of Bob Marley tunes.