What to do in Canggu?
Canggu is a great place to unwind, chill out, relax and reflect. It’s also a great surfing destination with top beaches and hip cool restaurants & cafes.
10 cool things to do in Canggu for you and the family
Canggu is slowly becoming the new Seminyak, but before it turns into a tourist power house, you can still see and feel the old world charm of Bali whilst still having plenty of things to do. It’s a fun ‘beachy’ area that is now drawing the uber cool, hip people from all over the world. So to help you get a feel for Canggu we have listed 10 of absolute favourite things to do.
- Take a ride on a scooter to Tanah Lot Temple This is Bali’s most famous temple and is about a 20 minute drive from Canggu. Best time to come here is at sunset and watch the sun dip below the temple. Bring your GoPro or iPhone because you are going to go crazy with the snaps as this place is seriously stunning. Be prepared for big crowds as every tourist that comes to Bali visits this temple.
- Fancy a round or two of golf at Nirwana Golf Course This golf course is unreal. As you meander around the holes you pass rice fields, temples, beaches, in fact the whole kaleidoscope of Bali passes you by as you tee off on each new hole. It’s probably Bali’s most famous course and for good reason; it’s a Greg Norman designed course.
- Horse riding on the beach The Bali Equestrian Centre has picked up on the tourist market in Canggu and is now giving folks the great opportunity to ride a horse on the beach or through the local village. Either way this is a great experience for the family. Beach tours grace the waters edge at Berawa Beach when it’s coolest (early morning and sunset). It’s a relaxed very easy going pace so if you have kids this is perfect.
- Hit the local farmers market on Sunday Every Sunday Samadi Bali, which is a well known yoga center in Canggu, puts on a local market where all the Balinese farmers come to showcase and sell their produce. From hand made products right through to jewellery, fresh fruit and veggies, this place is a great way to spend Sunday morning mooching around and mixing it with the locals.
- Try out one of the many Day Spas for relaxation There are so many fantastic Day Spas and massage places in Bali, and Canggu is no exception. From the upmarket day spas to little pop up massage places where you can walk in and get a fantastic 1 hour massage for $10. With such great value you will find that you will be looking forward to your daily massage. There are over 15 day spas in Canggu that provide traditional Balinese massage and other treatments that you would expect from most modern day spas. All you need to do is walk around the area and you will definitely bump into a few of them. Try the Therapy Day spa at Echo Beach – this place is amazing.
- Take the whole Family to the Canggu Waterpark This was formerly the exclusive Canggu Country Club but has now evolved into a water slide park. The kids are going to love this place. Just have a look at the photo – need I say more? There are six slides to try out. Have a go on the adrenaline pumping Giant Race Slide to the Crazy Creek that will have you meandering slowly down on a tube – top fun! There is also a trampoline centre and bowling alley as well. These are really popular family venues and they are all about 10 min from the centre of Canggu.
- Go for a Surf This is really obvious thing to do as Canggu (Echo Beach) is a world famous break. It can get dangerous, with strong waves and currents so take extreme care when venturing out. There are surf board rental places at the beach area and there is a local surf school located just behind the main restaurant area. For the experienced surfer, Canggu offers some wave perfection when it’s working.
- Watch the sunset at Echo Beach Enjoy the sunset on the beach with all the other tourists. Grab a cold Bintang and enjoy the sun dipping behind the horizon then head off to one of the local restaurants – nothing gets better than this!
- Hang with the cool people in a local hip cafe After a morning surf, or a walk on the beach, why not head off to one the the new trendy cafe’s and hang out for a couple of hours. There are heaps of brand new healthy delicious cafes serving up really great dishes. The style here is aimed at healthy eating – so if you are into fitness, good eating and people watching then you will LOVE Canggu.
- Rent a scooter and go exploring A motor scooter will set you back about $10 per day and it’s the perfect way to see the Canggu area. Weave in and out of the rice fields, explore alley ways and local villages. Get your self lost and try to figure out the best way back. It’s a lot of fun. Stop of at the road side stalls or local warungs and have a coconut juice. By the end of the day when you return to your hotel, get onto the Wifi and start uploading all those great rice field photos you took today to your Instagram account.