Nightlife, bars & restaurants in Canggu
The main eating area is in Echo Beach where you will find local restaurants serving up fresh Indonesian food. Prices are really cheap and these beach front restaurants or Warungs are geared towards surfers and beach goers who want a quick, healthy meal. Just because the prices are cheap doesn’t mean that the food isn’t good. The local Balinese dishes are served fresh and there are places that serve the nicest, healthiest smoothies and fruit salads. There are about a dozen really good restaurants all along Echo Beach, Canggu.
Although Canggu is developing at a rapid pace (every time you visit, there seems to be a new hotel or hip restaurant opening up), it is still very unspoilt and has that Balinese vibe of days gone bye. This is really the attraction of the area, hence the shopping in Canggu is limited. Most tourists will usually hop in a taxi for a 15 minute ride where they can spend the day in Seminyak shopping. If you want to stay local there are a few boutiques for women’s clothing and a couple of surf shops, but that’s about it.
Canggu, is a place where holiday makers and ex pats come to unwind and escape the heady night club and bar scene lifestyle of it’s close neighbour Seminyak. If you are looking to party hard, Canggu is not really the place. Having said that you might want to try Old Mans at Batu Bolong. This is an ideal place to watch the sunset with a cold Bintang.
For the younger crew there is Sunday Sessions at Deus, which is about a 2 min scooter ride from the beach. It does draw a bit local crowd (even people from Seminyak) for those eager to party, mingle and hook up.
Cafes and Restaurants in Canggu that you will love
Due to the rapid development of Canggu and the scores of new villas and hotels that have popped up all over the place, naturally there is bound to be some great cafes and restaurants to cater for the tourists, villa owners, hotel guests wanting to leave the hotel, vegans, hipsters and trendy jet setters all wanting something special to eat. Canggu is fast becoming a food hot spot….
- Butter and Cake Coffee Shop If you love cakes and you want to treat yourself to a sugar hit then an afternoon tea here is a must stop. It’s a small shop but the ambiance mixed in with the local street parade makes this a cup cake lovers paradise.
- The Bungalow There is something for everyone here at this eclectic bohemian boutique. Fantastic cafe, great healthy sandwiches, juices with to die for, lattes – all reasons to visit this cafe.
- The Hungry Bird This is where surfers hang post morning or afternoon session. Located in Berawa this place has is known for it’s generous portions and great healthy food.
- Crate This is the newest and most popular cafe and is the go to cafe for all those young, hip and must be seen people. Food is great, the vibe is young busy and friendly. It’s these kind of cafes that pop up that make Canggu such a cool place to spend your holiday time. Go for a surf, hang out at the beach and then have lunch at these street side cafes.
- Grocer & Grind The all in one cafe and restaurant serves up a food feat and is smack bang right next to Echo Beach. Wander in after sun baking and head straight for the tasty pizzas. Although this is not on the beach (so there are no fab views) this place is air conditioned, serves great coffee, delicious pasta dishes and has Wifi!
- Monsieur Spoon A boutique French bakery in the heart of Canggu. You can be forgiven thinking that you have stepped into some Parisian street scene. The cafe is a delightful oasis with outdoor tables and a cool garden area where you can sip of a flat white, eat unbelievably tasty food and enjoy the rice field view in front of you. Everything is baked in house so it’s always fresh. Monsieur Spoon is a real treat.